MTC Mailing Address
Sister Kylie Peterson
Brazil Vitoria Mission
Provo Missionary Training Center
2005 N. 900 E.
Provo, UT 84604-1793

Mission Address:
Brazil Vitoria Mission
Avenida Joao Baptista Parra, 633
Salas 1501/1502
Edf. Enseada Office, Praia do Sua
29052-123 Vitoria - ES BRAZIL

Monday, November 14, 2011

Week 2 in Vitoria 11-14-11

I have succesfully made it through my second week here in beautiful vitoria, brazil. And all in one piece!  So this last week was definitely a step up from the week before. I am finally getting settled in with the knowledge i will be uprooted and emotionally destraught yet again in anthother 4 weeks. Such is life in the mission field. My compnaion the other day found gray hairs in my hair. Gray hairs!! I am too young for this. I dont even want to know what all this stress is really doing to my body. But dont worry I am managing quite well. Despite the gray hairs and the emotional roller coaster ride, everything is hunky dory.

So a little more about life in Brazil. I dont remember if i mentioned this last week. but there are soccer fields everywhere. they line the beach, they are in parks, they are just about everywhere you can imagine. And they are just little teeny fields with all sorts of turf. Some have grass, dirt, concrete, wood, sand, etc. I would love to play on all surfaces. And everyone plays soccer. All the kids in the street have a ball and are playing. Even the old men get out to play. And the most popular team here is the Flamingos. So I dont know if thats how you spell it but that is what it sounds like. And I chose that for my team. Now i have an instant connection when I ask what their team is and we discover we are flamingos. Instant friends. And you always ask that, what team are you? and everyone knows what you are talking about. Also at night well actually all day, the bars are filled with mostly men watching their soccer games and drinking beer. At night the whole city erupts in cheers and you know when someone has scored a goal. I love it. I love walking past the bars too and getting little glimpes of the games playing on the screen.

So this week was a testimony builder for me. Tuesday every single lesson fell through for us. So it was a pretty slow start, but things started picking up and we have taught a lot of people that are just not interested. I was starting to wonder if god really prepares the hearts of the people until we met Juliana. She is a brazilian/american. WE speak englihs with her. Its such a tender mercy. She is actaully already a recent convert but less active so we are trying to help strengthen her testimony. But she talked about how she believed it was fate when the missionaries came to her door and when she prayed she gave thanks for us sisters to help her get back to going to churhc. She has a strong desire to be a good religoius person and raise her family in the church but its hard right now because her husband wants nothing to do with it. She was a testimony to me that there are more people like her out there that are waiting for us and ready to change.

Antoher testimony builder was this last sat. we needed more lessons with members(to meet our goals) so we decided to fast and pray to help us find the elect and help us work more with the members. Then lo and behold some 13 year old girl from our ward called and wanted to go out with us. She was such a little fireball of a testimony. She has 1 year in the church and was so forward with the investigators asking how they were feeling or what they thought. I learned a lot from her. She also gave us a few references and so I am excited to start working with them. This little 13 year old was such an example she talks about the gospel with everyone! Further adds to my testimony that there are people out there that are waiting for this message.

One thing that makes me a little uncomfortable in this mission is the push for baptism. Baptism baptism batism. in the hymns the brazilian missionaries will add the verb batisar (to baptise) wherever it is applicable. For example put your shoulder to the wheel and batisar....etc. We have picked up several recent converts in our area where the elders baptised and forgot about them. I just feel so bad for these converts who still need a little guidance and more knowledge before they can cmpeltely go on their own. I decided to start focusing on changing hearts. I am not here to baptise but to change people hearts. Our purpose is to not only help bring people to christ through baptism but also though enduring to the end. And they need a lot of faith and a complete change of heart. Anyway  - thats my thoughts for the day.

Thank you for your love and prayers

love sister peterson.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment